* Grandfather's house, also known as the Paul Curtis House, is a historic house at 114 South Street in Medford, Massachusetts. (Still standing today) It is claimed to be the original house named in the American poem "Over the River and through the Wood" by Lydia Maria Child. Although many people sing "to grandmother's house we go," the original edition shows that the author's words were "to grandfather's house."
The house, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, is also the best preserved example of Greek Revival architecture in Medford, and is noted for its association with Paul Curtis, a prominent local shipbuilder.
The rear portion of the modern house was built as a small farmhouse in the early 19th century. Lydia Maria Child (1802–1880) recalled the farmhouse when she wrote of her childhood visits to her grandfather's house in the poem "Over the River and through the Woods", published in 1844. The house is located near the Mystic River, which is believed to be the river referred to in the poem. The referenced woods have long since been replaced by residential housing.