Saturday, March 10, 2012

When not to use WD-40



Details here:  http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/6226/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40 

I know some drivers use WD-40 to de-squeak and lubricate carriage parts, particularly springs. As you'll read in this web site, WD-40 is not really a permanent lubricant. It's too thin for that purpose plus it *attracts* dirt. 


What it*is* good for is as a penetrant to unstick parts (although there are more effective ones like Kroil) and as a temporary lubricant to get you and your equipment to the time and place where you can use a more permanent, more appropriate lubricant. 

So far, for me, I find good quality spray silicone lasts fair long and does NOT attract dirt or even leave any visible trace (i.e. good for use on high quality polished carriage parts.) I mainly use it to quiet carriage leaf springs.







That said, I find most squeaks occur between metal and wood parts rather than metal on metal. In those cases, if practical, I make a washer or spacer out of a piece of polyethylene milk bottle or oil can plastic , loosen or separate the metal and wooden parts, slip the spacer in and re tighten any bolts or screws.


Usually this fix last forever....well, I can't actually swear to that since I haven't lived that long.

1 comment:

  1. Years ago I bought a gallon of silicon show sheen, then decided not to use it on my horse. I have used it inside boots to get them on, for locks and key, for the footplate of sewing machines to glide the fabric over.......I'm almost out.

    ReplyDelete